Table of Contents
- Cash Processing
- Cash Processing on iProcess
- How to enable Cash Processing for your Merchant
If your merchant takes non-electronic payments, like cash, in addition to credit card or electronic check (ACH) payments, this service gives them the ability to have a view of all their income streams in a single location. It is exclusively a reporting processor and no data about these transactions ever leaves the gateway. This service works through the Virtual Terminal, Batch Upload, or can be integrated to via our Payment API.
Partner - if you do not have Cash Processing added as a Value-added Services and you would like to have it added to be able to resell it to your merchants, please email firstname.lastname@example.org and request Cash Processor to be added to your portfolio. Please provide your Account ID, which is located on the top right corner when you log in, with your request.
Merchant - to access Cash Processing, the merchant will need to have the Cash Processor active as a service. The merchant's user account will need to have Cash checked off as a user permission. This can be found in their Merchant Portal → Settings → User Accounts → select the username → under Permissions check Cash for all the applicable access they need: e.g. Virtual Terminal Access, API Access, iProcess Mobile Payments Access, Batch Access, and Processors. Once Cash is active and the user permission(s) enabled, in the Merchant Portal, head over to the left side panel → click on Cash, this will give them access to Virtual Terminal Cash Sale, Refund, and Credit (credit option is only visible when logging in directly as the merchant).
In the Virtual Terminal, merchants will have the option for Cash Sale, Cash Refund, and Cash Credit. All cash transactions are approved and will be marked as “complete” immediately. They will not have a settlement action. Merchants have the option to print a cash receipt or email the receipt to their customer.
- Cash Sale - a sale would be the customer giving the merchant money
- Cash Refund - a refund is the merchant giving that money back for a transaction that previously happened
- Cash Credit - a credit is the merchant giving cash to the customer with no previous transaction to reference
As cash transactions are simple, merchants can customize their Cash Sale page to have a few fields that are relevant for their reporting. To customize their Virtual Terminal Cash Sale page, they can click on Configure at the top right corner of the page and remove all the fields that are not needed.
In transaction reporting, call Cash transactions will show as Type Cash:
- Payment API is supported. The “payment” variable needs to be passed with a value of “cash” to let the gateway know this is a cash transaction.
- Merchant Boarding API is fully supported, and the documentation page has a section to boarding Cash. The Merchant Boarding API is located in your Partner Portal on the left side panel → under Help → Boarding API.
- Cash Processing is available on iProcess (more information below).
- Invoices can be paid with cash, but only when paying from the Merchant Portal, not the link that’s emailed to the customer.
- There is no duplicate checking or max monthly limits, since there is no real risk.
- Recurring is not supported.
- Customer Vault records cannot be created with cash as a payment method.
Both iOS and Android versions of iProcess have Cash as an option at checkout. When you start a sale, there will be a third payment option at the top of the page, Cash. This option displays only if the user has permissions to a Cash processors and has an active Cash processor.
Selecting the Cash option will remove the credit card fields, will remove the “auth-only” option, and will leave the rest of the form as is. Customer info, order ID, MDFs, will still be available and work the same.
If the user would like, they can set a default cash discount percentage from the app’s settings, and it works just like setting a default surcharge or tax amount.
Since accepting cash also means calculating change, we’ve created a page that lets the merchant easily enter likely amounts the customer will hand over, as well as letting them key in a specific amount. The receipt page will then show the change owed.
In your Partner Portal head over to List Accounts → click on the merchant name → under Processing Services click on the Add dropdown → click on Add Cash. You can set the Cash Processor as Offered or Active.
- If set to Active - you will select the Currency, Merchant's Required Fields, and Processor Name. Click Submit.
- If set to Offered - the merchant can sign up for it from their merchant portal by heading over to the left side panel and clicking on Cash. They will see the Sign-Up page. The merchant will view and agree to their adjusted billing authorization and click on Sign-Up. Once signed up, they can proceed to using this service. Since there is no setup required, the service will be immediately available when the fees are approved.